Office: Wright Rieman Labs 134A/114
Mail: Chemistry & Chemical Biology, 610 Taylor Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Solid state inorganic chemistry; synthesis and crystal growth of novel transition metal compounds with quasi-low-dimensional properties including perovskite-related manganates, coboltates and ferrates with large magnetoresistant properties, transition metal (Mo, W, Nb) oxide bronzes, metal cluster chalcogenides, transition metal nitrides, and high temperature superconductors. Properties of compounds are characterized by X-ray diffraction, magnetic susceptibility, electronic conductivity, Seebeck effect, X-ray absorption near-edge spectroscopy, and thermal analysis. Structural-physicochemical property relationships are emphasized. Particular interest in compounds with electronic correlations/instabilities that lead to metal-to- insulator or metal-to-charge density wave, or superconducting transitions. Because of the highly aniosotropic behavior of low-dimensional materials, single crystal growth of bulk materials and films are pursued.
Selected Recent Research Activities
Greenblatt Research Group
Manrong Li, Mariana Whitaker, Martha Greenblatt, Kai Filsinge, Maria Retuerto (Left to Right)
- Rutgers University Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Research 2008.
- Francis P. Garvan-John M. Olin Medal 2003; sponsored by ACS, Francis P. Garvan-John M. Olin Medal Endowment-National Award by the American Chemical Society for major contribution to the field by a woman chemist.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science 1990.
- Lady Davis Fellowship, Hebrew University, Israel, 3-1-1999-8-1-1999.
- NATO Visiting Professor CNRS, Grenoble, France, Winter, 1998.
- PRF/ACS Member of the Board 1998-2004.
- University, Saga, Visiting Professor, Saga, Japan, March, 1995.
- National Academy of Science, Solid State Science Committee, Member 1989-1992.
- Honorary Member, Indian Materials Research Society, 1988-present.
- Visiting Professor, University of Cordoba, Cordoba Spain, December, 1990.
- Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, Visiting Member of the Staff, 1980-1981.
- Oxford University, Clarendon Laboratory, Visiting Professor, Summer 1980.
- Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel Visiting Scientist, 1972-1973.
- Editor- in- Chief, Materials Research Bulletin, 2000-present.
- Journal of Solid State Chemistry, Member of the Editorial Advisory Board 1989-present.
- Chemistry of Materials, Advisory Board, 1991-1997.
- Materials Research Bulletin, Editorial Advisory Board, 1995-2001.
- Materials Science and Engineering B-solid state materials for advanced engineering, Associate Editor, 1991-97.
- Inorganic Chemistry, Member of the Editorial Board, 1993-96.
- Chemtracts, Inorganic Chemistry, 1992-present.
Other National/International Services/Honors
- NSF Summer Program for Solid State Chemistry-Organizer, Summers 1986/87/88; Rutgers University, NB.
- Presidential Young Investigator Award NSF Panelist, 1986.
- Small Business Innovative Program, Panelist, NSF - 1987.
- Site Visit - Science Technology Research Center U. of Ill., Urbana-Champaign, 1988.
- Panelist for the Materials Research Section, NSF - 1988.
- Panelist for High Tc Superconductors, NSF, May 1989.
- Panelist-Science Technology Centers, NSF, Dec. 13-14, 1989.
- Panelist - Evaluation of the Materials Research Laboratory for DOE - Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, Nov. 8-9, 1990.
- Site Visit-Science Technology Research Center U. of Ill., Urbana-Champaign, 1991.
- Site Visit-NSF-Materials Research Group, Arizona State University, Tampa, AR. May 27, 1992.
- Site Visit-Science Technology Research Center U. of Ill., Urbana-Champaign-July, 1992.
- Chair, Panel to Evaluate the Program on "Solid Electrolytes" at the DOE, March 8-10, 1993 in Bethesda, MD.
- Chair, Panel of Chemistry 1, for International Science Foundation, Long-Term Research Grants, Dec. 6-8, 1993, Washington, NRC, Georgetown, Green Bldg.
- Site Visit-Science Technology Research Center U. of Ill., Urbana-Champaign, June 21-23, 1994.
- Panel of Chemistry 1, for International Science Foundation, Long-Term Research Grants, July 6-8, 1994, Washington, NRC, Georgetown, Green Bldg. Member of Outside Review.
- Committee to evaluate the Chemistry Department of the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa, December 4-5, 1994.
- Co-Organizer of a NATO Advanced Study Institute on the "Physics and Chemistry of Low-Dimensional Iorganic Conductors" Les Houches, France, June 12-23, 1995.
- Presenter/Member of Panel: “Workshop on Nanomaterials”, UC/NSF Toulouse, France, Oct. 19-20, 2000.
- Chair, Organizing Committee-MRS Fall Meeting 2002, Solid State Chemistry Symposium.
- Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Solid State Chemistry, July, 2004.
- Presenter and member of NSF-Workshop, New Delhi, India, June, 2004.
- Member of NSF Committee on Carrier Awards, Alexandria, VA, November, 2005.
- Member of Workshop on “Women Equity at Universities” Washington DC Janury 2006.
- Member on Workshop for “NSF-Materials for the Future” Northwestern U, IL May, 2006.
- Member of Committee to Evaluate Chemistry Department, SUNY-Binghamton, Binghamton, NY, September 18-21, 2006.
- Member on Panel to evaluate ACS-PRF focus of scientific support. Washington DC, January, 2007.
- Transition Metal Oxides-Magnetoresistance and Halfmetallicity. Tapas Mandal and Martha Greenblatt in “Functional Oxides” Editors: Richard, Walton, Duncan Bruce and Dermot O'Hare, Wiley, 257-293 (2010).
- Electronic excitations in the correlated metal BaV0.98Ti0.02S3 studied using resonant inelastic soft x-ray scattering. Learmonth, T.; Glans, P.-A.; Guo, J.-H.; Greenblatt, M.; Smith, K. E. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 22(2), 025504/1-025504/5 (2010).
- 2D magnetic order in layered Ni1+/Ni2+ (d9/d8) nickelate, isoelectronic with superconducting cuprates Viktor V. Poltavets, Konstantin A. Lokshin, Andriy H. Nevidomskyy, Mark Croft, Trevor A. Tyson, Joke Hadermann, Gustaaf Van Tendeloo, Takeshi Egami, Gabriel Kotliar, Nicholas ApRoberts-Warren, Adam P. Dioguardi, Nicholas J. Curro, and Martha Greenblatt, Phys. Rev. Lett., 104, 206403/1-4 (2010).
- BiMnFe2O6 a Transition Metal Oxide with a Polysynthetically Twinned Hexagonal-Close-Packed Structure. Tao Yang, Artem M. Abakumov, Joke Hadermann, Gustaaf Van Tendeloo, Israel Nowik, Alexander A. Tsirlin, Mark Croft, A. Ignatov, Junliang Sun, Martha Greenblatt , Chemical Science, 1(6), 751-762 (2010).
- Ca4MnxFe3-xO8-δCl2: a New n = 3 Ruddlesden-Popper Oxychloride. Tao Yang, Junliang Sun, Mark Croft, Israel Nowik, Alexander Ignatov, Rihong Cong, Martha Greenblatt submitted J. Solid State Chemistry, 183, 1215-1220 (2010).
- Cd1-xBix(Cd1+xIn1+x)VO6 (0 ≤ x ≤ 0.14): a New Polar Oxide with Second Harmonic Generation. Tao Yang, Martha Greenblatt, Shiv Halasyamani and Joachim Hemberger Chem. Mater., 22, 4814-4820 (2010).
- Structural Investigation of Ca1-δMnxFe2-xO4 (0.4 ≤ x ≤ 2.0): Ca2+ defects and mixed valent Mn3+/4+. Tao Yang, Mark Croft, Alexander Ignatov, Israel Nowik, Rihong Cong, and Martha Greenblatt. Chem. Mater., 22, 5876-5886 (2010).
- Water oxidation by λ-MnO2: Catalysis by the cubical Mn4O4 subcluster obtained by delithiation of spinel LiMn2O4. David Robinson, Yong Bok Go, Martha Greenblatt, and G. Charles Dismukes, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 132, 11467-11469 (2010).
- Synthesis and properties LaSrMnNbO6 an Ordered Double Perovskites. Tao Yang, Tyche Perkisas, Joke Hadermann, Mark Croft, Alexander Ignatov and Martha Greenblatt, J. Solid State Chem., 183, 2689-2694 (2010).
- Synthesis and properties of LaAMnSnO6 (A = Sr, Ba) Double Perovskites. Tao Yang, Joke Hadermann, Gustaaf Van Tendeloo and Martha Greenblatt, J. Mater. Chem., 21(1) 199-205 (2011).
- Critical spin dynamics in the antiferromagnet La4Ni3O8 from 139La nuclear magnetic resonance. N. ApRoberts-Warren, A. Dioguardi, V. Poltavets, M. Greenblatt, Peter Klavins, and N. J. Curro. Phys. Rev. B 83(1), 014402/1-014402/4 (2011).
- Realization of Tomonaga-Luttinger-liquid physics in the bulk quasi-one-dimensional conductor, Li0.9Mo6O17. N. Wakeham, A. F. Bangura, X. Xu, J.-F. Mercure, N. Wakeham, M. Greenblatt and N. E. Hussey, Nature submitted, 10-2010.