Transfer Credit

Two-Step Process

The Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology will:

1. Determine that the course in question is equivalent to a course that we offer (see below), AND

2. Sign off on a standard transfer-of-credit form from the student’s college

An advisor in the Dean’s Office of the student’s college can supply this form. The student should obtain a copy of the form, fill it out, and submit it to the Undergraduate Chemistry Program Coordinator, Ms. Ola Elshorafa.

Determination of equivalence

Detailed regulations may vary by college, but the student must receive a grade of C or better for course credit to be transferred from or to another institution.

If the chemistry course that the student has taken or wishes to take is on an approved list, the transfer of credit is usually straightforward. The student should bring a completed transfer of credit form to the Undergraduate Office in the Chemistry and Chemical Biology building on the Busch campus.

Some students have taken or wish to take a course that is not on the approved list. Each course requires a separate evaluation. To make the evaluation, we will need the following information:

  • Your name, RUID, and an e-mail address at which we can reach you if we need more information
  • Name of college/university at which the course was taken
  • Catalog number and title of the course
  • Date when course was taken
  • A syllabus (list of topics or chapters in a textbook) for the course for the year or, preferably, the semester when the course was taken
  • An indication, possibly from the syllabus or the college catalog, of the intended audience for the course (e.g., general chemistry science majors: organic chemistry for nursing students; non-science majors)
  • The textbook (title, edition, authors)
  • The total number of hours of lecture (e.g., 14 weeks x 2.6 hours/week = 36.4 hours)
  • The total number of hours of recitation
  • The total number of hours of laboratory

Once this information is assembled, the student should bring it along with a transfer of credit form to the Undergraduate Office in the Chemistry and Chemical Biology (CCB) building on the Busch campus. When we receive the information we need, we will ask a faculty member who is expert in the area to evaluate it. We will let you know the decision as soon as possible.